Thursday, July 7, 2011

Design with Swatches

I love this work from Allison Patrick. The texture of the thin strips of paint is beautiful. Image from Paper Crave
Image from DIY Life
Perhaps it was Sherwin-Williams who originally inspired this trend with their ads, but decorating with paint swatches has taken off.  I have been seeing these design ideas creeping across a variety of blogs that I frequent, and I want to share what I have found about this fun DIY decor style. Paint chips are free and you can get them Hardware and Home Improvement stores, they are as colorful, patterned, and because they are paper they are easily adhered to a variety of mediums. The economy  has less-than-great the last few years, which has inspired a new DIY generation, along with the return of craftsmanship. Handmade pieces of art and design can make a beautiful addition to your home.
Image from DIY Life
Image from Design Sponge
I am not any different, plus I have always enjoy getting hands on with art and design. I have been looking for ways to brighten up my very white, yet dark apartment. (Wall are all white but all the cabinets, floors, trim are dark). I NEED color, and I am not allowed to paint. If I can find some cheap frames paint chips could be layered for some textured art or even cut into shapes to make something more "realistic".
I think I am going to try out this decorating tip on a lamp of my own, that I have owned for your years and picked up for $5 at a grocery store. It has been in need of some lovin'. I have recently spray painted the based and now the lamp shade could use some vitality. When I have this project complete I will keep you posted on the progress. If you are not ambitious enough to try this yourself. Etsy has several paint chip wall art pieces to choose from

Image from Design Sponge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on Design Morsels.