Monday, August 8, 2011

Type Love: Q

No not Bond or Star Trek, but Baskerville. The Q designed by John Baskerville is striking with the eloquent curved strokes. In all typefaces this is my favorite Q, and I just wanted to share a little bit on the history of one of my favorite letterforms. Baskerville is a Transitional typeface. To the average person the biggest difference you will notice with Transitional faces is the stroke contrast is more prominent that Old Style or Humanist typefaces.



This typeface was designed in 1757. I am not alone in my fandom. Fournier, Bodoni (another typeface designer), and Benjamin Franklin were all fans of his work.The tail of this "Q" is what makes it so sensational.

Want to know more about this typeface? Check out these links

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on Design Morsels.