Monday, January 30, 2012

More Than a Pixel Pusher


Some days I feel like all I do is move pixels around the screen until someone says okay that's what I want. Going back to my roots in design studies I need to remember that graphic design is much more than pushing pixels for ideas that other people have already made up. My job is to help the client serve their customers or audience. I believe that my clients can contribute to society, and it is my job to facilitate them.

It was just a couple of weeks ago that my husband and I were discussing the importance or lack-of-importance of the university school system. My fundamentals in design, that my work is more than making things look pretty: each part of a design should serve PURPOSE. This is something I never would have learned through "on the job skills training". Sure there are a lot of things left to be desired about the university system (like the lack of recourse students have when advisors and instructors fail to be available and delay your graduation due to their mistakes and not the students, but this is another rant for another day.)

The functionality of design is what separates design from art (although that line is very blurry). Type and image do not function in the same way that a chair functions, but it is essential all the same. Visual Communication can provide valuable information about services, products, or ask us to take action for a cause. 



" Design is not so shallow, but damn does it look good."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on Design Morsels.