Monday, November 21, 2011

Sketch

I knew there was a reason that my year of design fundamentals included 2 semesters of drawing and my major required another semester of developing my drawing skills. Computes are fast pace and the programs more sophisticated. Sketching is becoming less common for a starting point. It had been grilled into us at school that all projects begin with a design brief and then beginning with sketches that fit the needs outlined in the brief. I have a plethora of sketch books filled with minute sketches.



One of our early projects in Visual Communications was the task to create symbols. The first day we had to do 400 sketches and 400 more each day after that. This grilled into us that sketching was essential, because it is not always your first one that is best. As i began professional work I used to sketch more often, but as months have gone by i find I am sketching less. I am not sure why, since sketching has a lot of benefits:

  • It's Fast! Faster than "computer sketching. You can quickly see if a layout will work rather than wasting time building something a computer that may not work. 
  • Sketching is not biased. When you work on the computer it is to tempting to add color and make work more complicated even before the layout is realized.
  • It activates a different part of the brain, and can re-inveterate your creative juices.
  • Rest for your eyes. Even if you don't sketch it is a good idea to take a break from the computer screen and give your eyes rest from those little lights.

2 comments:

  1. I spend waaay too much time in front of the computer these days. It's the source of everything--entertainment, information and wooooork. Need to bust out the pencils and freshen up my (weak) sketching skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sketching is only visual note taking. As long as you understand your scribbles, that is all that matters.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on Design Morsels.